Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time (Time, #1)A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


It was a dark and stormy night; Meg Murry, her small brother Charles Wallace, and her mother had come down to the kitchen for a midnight snack when they were upset by the arrival of a most disturbing stranger.



"Wild nights are my glory," the unearthly stranger told them. "I just got caught in a downdraft and blown off course. Let me be on my way. Speaking of way, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract".


A tesseract (in case the reader doesn't know) is a wrinkle in time. To tell more would rob the reader of the enjoyment of Miss L'Engle's unusal book.

I read this book for some reading challenges I am participating in -- a science fiction challenge, a time travel challenge, and the reading the books featured on the TV show LOST challenge. There could be more that I'll use if for, but those are the main ones. I've wanted to read this book for a long time actually. I would see it in the library and wonder about it. Granted it is a young person's book, but it intrigued me. The main characters were 3 children -- each was special in their own way. Two of the children were brother and sister, Meg and Charles Wallace. Their Father was a scientist working for the government and had gone away while working on a project and hadn't been heard of for some time. Meg, Charles Wallace and their friend, Calvin meet and discover 3 beings: Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit, and Mrs. Which who are going to help them get Father back. They tell the children Father has gone through a tesseract or a wrinkle in time to another place. This is a bit different take on time travel than books I have read before. Young people would like this book because it is full of strange creatures, strange planets and evil beings like IT that have to be challenged in order to get Father back. Even though it is a children's book, it wasn't written in a childish way, so I rather enjoyed it. I wouldn't say that I "loved it," but it kept my attention and I am glad I read it.




View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. My daughter and I tried this one too but my daughter wasn't crazy about it. We didn't love it either. Thanks for linking this review to the Time Travel page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, this was a book that I read and loved to pieces as a child. I'm so pleased that it's 50th anniversary is this year and that it has continued to be in print ever since it was published. Thanks for taking me on a trip down memory lane this morning.

      Delete
  2. I read this when I was a kid before I liked science fiction and I think the language and concepts were a bit over my head. I don't even think I finished it. I'm looking forward to trying it out again and seeing if it fits better.

    ReplyDelete