Wednesday, January 11, 2012

One Magic Moment by Lynn Kurland

One Magic MomentOne Magic Moment by Lynn Kurland


My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Medieval studies scholar Tess Alexander is thrilled for the chance to live in a medieval castle. But then a trip to the village brings her face-to-face with the owner of the local garage, who looks a great deal like the man who married her sister...800 years in the past. She's determined to remain objective about magic and destiny, but she can't help wondering about that mysterious, sword-wielding mechanic.

I haven't read a book by Lynn Kurland for a while, so when I saw this one on the shelf at the library, I had to get it. It didn't disappoint me. I love time travel/historical romance. This was the story of John de Piaget and Tess Alexander. When you start reading Lynn Kurland's books, you get introduced to the MacLeod and de Piaget families and the time gates they employ to go from one century to another -- accidentally and sometimes on purpose. Ms. Kurland writes with a lot of humor and her descriptions make you actually feel the velvet, the wind and the stone. This novel involved a lot of running and driving from one place to another which was a little tiring -- of course, it would have been for Tess (the Future gel) since she had to run from one castle to another. Even though she had a PhD. in medieval studies, she didn't seem to have many problems adjusting to being in the 13th century. Of course, there were so many of John's relatives to describe, that maybe there wasn't time. The reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because I think John & Tess's relationship could have been documented more. As I said, they did a lot of running around and I would have liked them to have an opportunity to stop and spend some time together. But I was very happy to have the chance to read this book. Tess's sister, Pippa, and John's brother, Montgomery, are featured in the book that came before this one, "One Enchanted Evening", and there were several times that I wished I had read it first. It's coming in the mail any day. This was a good, clean, time travel historical romance, so if that's your cup of tea (as it is mine), you should pick it up and read it.




View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a keeper, I like both time travel and historical romance myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fun fast-paced book! I have yet to read a Lynn Kurland book although I know of bloggers who rave about her books. Thanks for suggesting ONE ENCHANTED EVENING first. And thanks for linking this review to the Time Travel Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, I saw lots of Lynn Kurland while I was workin at the library, but the description you gave of her books: "the MacLeod and de Piaget families and the time gates they employ to go from one century to another -- accidentally and sometimes on purpose" might just get me to pick up one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't sound much like my kind of read, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm amazed at how many other genres are importing science fiction ideas into their plots.

    ReplyDelete