Thursday, January 5, 2012

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

I Am the MessengerI Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Meet Ed Kennedy—underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he’s hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That’s when the first Ace arrives. That’s when Ed becomes the messenger. . . .



Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who’s behind Ed’s mission?


Winner of the 2003 Children’s Book Council Book of the Year Award in Australia, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.


Markus Zusak has been my favorite author ever since I read "The Book Thief". "I Am the Messenger" just cements my opinion! He is brilliant! This story seems pretty regular -- an ordinary guy, Ed, is living his ordinary life with his ordinary friends until one day he causes a bank robber to fail at his attempt to rob a bank. Then the ordinary guy gets a playing card in the mail with 3 addresses on it. He figures out that he is supposed to help someone at each of the addresses... Same old, same old, right? WRONG! Just suffice it to say that there is a twist at the end of this tale that you won't expect and will make you understand why Markus Zusak is the best writer of all time. He keeps you interested with the tasks and activities and different characters so that you don't get bored with the ordinariness of Ed and his life, but...you'll see. Zusak is amazing! And, if after you've read this book, you agree with me that he is amazing, you should read "The Book Thief". If you appreciate the humor in "I Am the Messenger", you'll get "The Book Thief" as well. Not everybody does. His humor is very understated, but he just has funny ideas.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment