Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Christmas Doll by Elvira Woodruff

The Christmas DollThe Christmas Doll by Elvira Woodruff


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Lucy and Glory are orphaned sisters with no real place to call home. Only their memories of a beautiful doll named Morning Glory brighten their bleak lives. One day, the girls find an old, battered doll that Glory senses is their beloved Morning Glory. But Morning Glory is no ordinary doll. And how she leads the girls to the most surprising turn of fortune makes for a heartwarming story that brims with love, hope, and the spirit of Christmas.

My daughter told me I should read this book last year when I was doing the Christmas Spirit Reading Challenge, but I never got to it. So, I decided to read it this year. It is the story of two orphan girls who escape the workhouse and live on the streets in the city. The elder, Lucy, got a job at a doll's shop when she went in to try to sell a doll she had found in the mud. She happened to be wearing her sister Glory's apron upon which she had stitched a little Morning Glory flower. The shopkeeper noticed the flower and was convinced that Lucy had talent for stitching and could be their Hearts Girl for the Christmas season. I know I have told a bit about the story, but there is so much more to tell. It's a sad, but sweet story about the sisters' love for each other and the hope that kept them alive. I know it is a children's book, but it was such a satisfying read for this Christmas season.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment