Wednesday, August 2, 2017

NATIONAL COLORING BOOK DAY - AUGUST 2


Yesterday, I was looking for information about Coloring Books in anticipation of “National Coloring Book Day” which is today, August 2. I found this article on the Huffpost blog by Dr. Nikki Martinez, Psy.D., LCPC entitled, “7 Reasons Adult Coloring Books Are Great for Your Mental, Emotional and Intellectual Health.” If you want to read the entire piece with all its footnotes and related links, you can read it here.

Image result for art therapyDr. Martinez says coloring books are prescribed by many psychologists, therapists and occupational therapists, including herself, for various reasons. She actually prescribed coloring for herself after she had major surgery and was laid-up in bed for eight weeks. Now she pulls out her coloring books when she needs to shift her focus or practice her own stress reduction. Coloring books are useful in so many ways. Dr. Martinez lists 7 of them:

1.      Coloring can be used as an alternative to meditation, as a means of relaxation, and as a calming tool. It can help an individual focus on what they are doing vs. focusing on intrusive and troubling thoughts.
2.     It can help with many emotional and mental health issues such as boredom, lack of structure and stress. Dr. Mendez says, “The time and focus that adult coloring takes helps the individual remove the focus from the negative issues and habits, and focus them in a safe and productive way.
Image result for coloring books3.     They help patients with PTSD, anxiety and stress issues by calming down the part of the brain that controls the fight or flight response. Coloring helps turn down that response to give a patient much-needed rest and relaxation.
4.     It reminds us of a simpler, easier and happier times of childhood. To tap into those times is cathartic and enjoyable.
5.     Coloring has intellectual benefits, too. It uses parts of our brains that enhance focus and concentration. Deciding which colors to use to make the picture pretty activates those parts of the brain.
6.     Coloring uses both sides of our brain. Dr. Martinez says, “When we are thinking about balance, color choices, applying colored pencil to paper, we are working on problem solving and fine motor skills.” Coloring can be used to retrain individuals by occupational therapists by starting with easier pictures and gradually advancing to more and more intricate designs.

7.     Finally, Dr. Martinez gives 3 reference links for us to check out. Read her whole article here, then go get yourself some colored pencils and a coloring book and get started! 

1 comment:

  1. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete