Monday, September 3, 2012

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood -- moving up on my TBR list.


 


On The Classic Club blog, this is the September Meme Question:  


Pick a classic someone else in the club has read from our big review list. Link to their review and offer a quote from their post describing their reaction to the book. What about their post makes you excited to read that classic in particular?

I chose Beachreader's review of "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. My favorite quote of the review was this:

"What I particularly liked is that Offred is not a hero in the "have bow & arrow - will shoot - Hunger Games sense." Her heroism comes in the telling of her story. There must be people who remember what it was like before there was a Republic of Gilead."

I admire strong heroines and can't wait to read this book. Both of my daughters have read it and have told me I MUST read it. And that I will LOVE it. So, "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood has moved up to #4 on my 50 Classics in 5 Years book list (I'm reading #3 now.)

If you are interested in reading more classics, gather 50 to read over the next 5 years and go to The Classic Club blog and sign up! Here's a link to my book list.



2 comments:

  1. I have The Handmaid's Tale on my classics list, too. I really liked what Beachreader said, "her heroism comes in telling her story"--I really appreciate that kind of heroism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I do hope you get to this, soon. It was so good. Better than I expected! In fact, I got two other Atwood books (The Blind Assassin and Cat's Eye) because of it.

    ReplyDelete