Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Magi by Kevin Turner

The MagiThe Magi by Kevin M. Turner


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Thirteen-year-old Elijah Hawk has never heard of the Magi. He doesn't know about the secret power they have. He has never been to Savenridge, the Magi city hidden deep inside the northern forests. Most of all, Elijah is unaware of the dangers hunting him, in search for something he has. After one terrifying night, however, all of that changes!


Kevin Turner invited me to read and review this book. He suggested I read an excerpt on his website before I said yes. After reading that excerpt, I immediately told him I would LOVE to read the rest of the book and review it. The action takes off right from page 1! The rest of the book moves along as well. From being chased by a man with yellow eyes to climbing down a canyon to rescue his uncle, Elijah is on some wild adventure! His family is attacked and his father tells him to run -- that there is a plan. So, he runs to his uncle and, while he is staying there going through his parents things, he discovers references to The Magi. This sets him off to try to find out more. Eventually, after his uncle disappears, he ends up at an Academy, then is taken to Savenridge (a hidden city) by a friendly teacher. Elijah starts training in the ways of the Magi and discovers he has special gifts. I really liked this book. It was action-packed and it didn't drag. Every scene was interesting and thought-provoking. When I have talked about it with other people, I tend to compare it to "The Lightning Thief", however, "The Magi" is written for a more mature reader. I liked "The Lightning Thief" but it was obviously written for a junior-high level reader. "The Magi" could be read by anyone and enjoyed. This is the first in a series. I can't wait to read the next one.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment