Monday, August 9, 2010

Musing Monday


It's Monday and we're doing a round-robin kind of thread. The question I have to answer is: "Did you ever read a novel that was not in your comfort zone? What/Who have made you pick up that book? Did you like it and would read more from that genre?

I read "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson. When I read the description on the cover, I didn't think I would like it because it was a murder mystery, etc. Then I kept seeing the book...in the stores, on the Internet, everywhere! It was like it was taunting me to read it. Then, my book club decided WE should read it. I gave in and bought the book. I really did like it. It moved along quite well for me - I finished the last 300 pages in one afternoon. However, it was very disturbing because it was about men who abused women. The heroine was very interesting because she was quite intelligent, but, since she only spoke when she had something to say, people thought she was intellectually challenged, which she used to her advantage because she was so smart! Anyway, I did like the book, but I don't want to read the other 2 books in the series. Yes, I can put it down and walk away.

So, this leads to my question - Have you ever read the first book in a series that bothered you and were you able to walk away from the series, or did you read the rest of the books just to find out what happened next or if things got better? Was it worth it?

Thanks for visiting me! Have a great Monday!

7 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention this book. I want to read it too b/c my mother raved about it. But it will probably be outside of my comfort zone as well.

    But usually when I start a series, I feel compelled to finish it. There are several series I'm in now that I wish I could quit. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can walk away from a series. I done it several times. If the books doesn't capture me within the first 50 pages, I'm done. Im usually very good at picking out books that I know I will like. So I haven't walk away from a series in a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read the first two books in the Millennium trilogy. I got The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo as a Christmas Swap Gift. I simply did not pick it for some months as I thought it was much hyped and I am not going to like it, although I read a lot of CRIME FICTION. However, as soon as I started it, I couldn't put it down. I bought the second book, finished it at one go. The third book was not available here when I last checked. Next time I hope I get hold of that!

    Thanks for answering my question at my Musing Mondays post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the awesome logo. =)

    I answered your question and you can find it here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, I can't believe you walked away from the Larsson books! don't you want to know Lisbeth's story??

    yes, I agree the subject is a bit disturbing, but, well, bottom line, it is a book, not real. Heavens knows it happens in real life and that is terrible, but I think books are a great way to learn and explore about disturbing subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am curious about Lisbeth's story, but when I read the teaser at the end of the 1st book, I didn't want to read more about the torture she went through. She is an amazing character! I guess I'll just ask my friend Stella about her story. She devoured all 3 books in record time and loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no desire to pick up The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. But your question really made me think! There are times when I can't stand a book, but I'll keep reading just to find out what happens. And there are other times when I just walk away from the whole series.
    Initially, I was going to say if something has a strong start, I'm inclined to keep on giving it a chance, but as I mull over some of the series I've been reading lately, I realize there are plenty of exceptions to that. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete