Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Book Review: Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

3835
Title: Don Quixote
Author: Miguel de Cervantes
Translation: Edith Grossman
Paperback: 940 pages
Audiobook: Narrated by George Guidall
Published: April 26, 2005
   (first published 1605
Publisher: Harper Perennial

from Goodreads:

Edith Grossman's definitive English translation of the Spanish masterpiece. Widely regarded as the world's first modern novel, and one of the funniest and most tragic books ever written, Don Quixote chronicles the famous picaresque adventures of the noble knight-errant Don Quixote of La Mancha and his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, as they travel through sixteenth-century Spain. Unless you read Spanish, you've never read Don Quixote.


Alleluialu's Review:
I'm done! I'm done! I'm done! I have been listening to this audiobook for 4 months! And I love it. These stories about Don Quixote and Sancho Panza are very entertaining - so funny. The narrator of this audiobook did a great job changing voices for different characters. His Sancho voice was perfect. I never really knew what Don Quixote, the book, was about. It is a series of stories of Don Quixote and the adventures he and his squire, Sancho Panza, experienced in their travels. Don Quixote was a lover of books of chivalry and errant knights and sought to live according to the principles he imagined were in those books. The only thing that disappointed me was that Don Quixote never actually found his love, Dulcinea of Toboso. I guess that is a spoiler. Sorry.



I gave this book 5 stars. It is a classic and it's wonderful! You can get a copy at your local library or from Amazon here or Barnes & Noble here. By the way, my edition had a special deckle edge to the pages that makes it seem like a very old book. I really like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment