Saturday, June 25, 2011

Awaken the Highland Warrior by Anita Clenney

Awaken the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #1)Awaken the Highland Warrior by Anita Clenney


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


A man from another time...



Faelan is from an ancient clan of Scottish Highland warriors, charged with shielding humanity from demonic forces. Betrayed and locked in a time vault, he has been sleeping for nearly two centuries when spunky historian Bree Kirkland inadvertently wakes him. She's more fearsome than the demon trying to kill him, and if he's not careful, she'll uncover the secrets his clan has bled and died to protect...


Could be the treasure she's been seeking all her life...


When Bree inherits an old treasure map, she discovers a warrior buried in her backyard. But the warrior isn't dead. Bree shocks Faelan with her modern dress and her boldness, and he infuriates Bree every time he tries to protect her.


With demons suddenly on the move, Bree discovers that Faelan's duty as protector is in his blood, and that her part in this fight was destined before she was born. But nothing is ever what it seems...

Anita Clenney, the author of this book, asked me to read and review it and I am honored to do so. I really enjoy reading time travel books mainly because of the reactions of the unsuspecting (in most cases) time traveler to the time to which he/she has been transported. This book did not disappoint in that regard. As a bonus, in this book you get the exciting warriors vs. demons aspect. Faelan is trapped in a time vault for 150 years and released by Bree, an adventurous Civil War expert. While each is trying to figure out whether the other is a good guy or a bad guy, they fall in love -- of course -- and together they set out to destroy Faelan's assigned demon and save the world. This book is well-written and exciting. There is a little sex but it doesn't distract you from the story. There's the whole family bonding together to fight the enemy (which I love) and they are Scottish -- what can I say? On a personal note, I realized when reading this book that when I started reading novels again, especially ones with a strong female character, that I pictured myself as that young, strong, adventurous woman. Now that doesn't quite fit -- I'm picturing myself as the mother in this book. That is very amusing to me for some reason. This book is the first in a series, so watch for the others soon. There were some tiny loose threads left hanging in this book that I'm interested to see woven in. I'm looking forward to reading more.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment