Thursday, January 8, 2015

Book Review: Letters from Home by Kristina McMorris

Hi readers! Sorry I've been off the grid a bit. Christmas came and family things - but I was still reading, just not posting. Soooo, I'm trying to catch up. I so appreciate you visiting my blog. One of my New Year's resolutions is to work on this blog and make it better - for you! and for me! 
9413657

Title: Letters from Home
Author: Kristina McMorris 

Paperback: 364 pages
Published: February 22, 2011 by Kensington Books

URL: http://www.KristinaMcMorris.com

Literary awards: HOLT Medallion, Dixie Kane Memorial Contest for Historical (2006), Kay Snow Fiction Award, Golden Palm Award, Touch of Magic Contest, Goodreads Choice Nominee for Best Historical Fiction (Semifinalist)(2011)


 from Goodreads: 

Chicago, 1944. Liz Stephens has little interest in attending a USO club dance with her friends Betty and Julia. She doesn't need a flirtation with a lonely serviceman when she's set to marry her childhood sweetheart. Yet something happens the moment Liz glimpses Morgan McClain. They share only a brief exchange--cut short by the soldier's evident interest in Betty--but Liz can't forget him. Thus, when Betty asks her to ghostwrite a letter to Morgan, stationed overseas, Liz reluctantly agrees.

Thousands of miles away, Morgan struggles to adjust to the brutality of war. His letters from "Betty" are a comfort, their soul-baring correspondence a revelation to them both. While Liz is torn by her feelings for a man who doesn't know her true identity, Betty and Julia each become immersed in their own romantic entanglements. And as the war draws to a close, all three will face heart-wrenching choices, painful losses, and the bittersweet joy of new beginnings. 

Beautifully rendered and deeply moving, Letters from Home is a story of hope and connection, of sacrifices made in love and war--and the chance encounters that change us forever.

Alleluialu's Review:

I loved this book so much that I told my book club about it and they selected it for our February 2015 selection! I envisioned this story in my mind as a movie - I do that alot. It would make a great movie. The girls are very different which makes it interesting. The basic plot is an old one, but there are other plots involved here. One girl goes off to find her purpose, one nearly turns her back on her dream, and the other falls in love with a man who thinks she is someone else. It's a wonderful book. I hope I do it justice when I review it for our book club! I need to look for other Kristina McMorris novels!


I gave this selection 5 notes (I am a musician after all) - A Symphony! It was excellent! I didn't want it to end. I bought this book brand new from Barnes & Noble.com. The copy is lovely and you can get one, too, right here. AND, you can get it from Amazon.com here. If you want to read more about Kristina McMorris, here is a link to her Goodreads author page. I plan on contacting her and asking her for an interview I can post here in February. 



No comments:

Post a Comment